Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 367,543 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com. These files were last updated on May 29, 2016.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (367,543 objects)
- csv (zipped 17.2 MB, unzipped 102 MB)
- xml (zipped 22.5 MB, unzipped 366.4 MB)
- json (zipped 20 MB, unzipped 204.8 MB)
- African (18,973 objects)
- csv (zipped 1 MB, unzipped 5.2 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 16.7 MB)
- json (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 9.6 MB)
- American (147,461 objects)
- csv (zipped 6.4 MB, unzipped 40.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 8.5 MB, unzipped 152.8 MB)
- json (zipped 7.5 MB, unzipped 83.3 MB)
- Asian (21,852 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 7 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 23.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 13.4 MB)
- Egyptian (47,412 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 12.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.4 MB, unzipped 46 MB)
- json (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 25.9 MB)
- European (8,145 objects)
- csv (zipped 268.9 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 358.6 KB, unzipped 7.7 MB)
- json (zipped 312.5 KB, unzipped 4.2 MB)
- Historic (2,468 objects)
- csv (zipped 140.6 KB, unzipped 696.4 KB)
- xml zipped 177.3 KB, unzipped 2.3 MB)
- json zipped 160.2 KB, unzipped 1.3 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,262 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.9 MB, unzipped 8.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.4 MB, unzipped 30.4 MB)
- json (zipped 2.2 MB, unzipped 17.4 MB)
- Near Eastern (72,043 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.2 MB, unzipped 19.2 MB)
- xml (zipped 4 MB, unzipped 65.5 MB)
- json (zipped 3.6 MB, unzipped 37.3 MB)
- Oceanian (21,496 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 6.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 20.7 MB)
- json (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 12 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.