Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 350,545 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com. These files were last updated on May 24, 2015.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (350,545 objects)
- csv (zipped 16.3 MB, unzipped 95.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 21.3 MB, unzipped 344.9 MB)
- json (zipped 18.9 MB, unzipped 192.1 MB)
- African (18,750 objects)
- csv (zipped 1,000.7 KB, unzipped 5 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 16.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 9.4 MB)
- American (137,849 objects)
- csv (zipped 6.1 MB, unzipped 37 MB)
- xml (zipped 8.2 MB, unzipped 141.3 MB)
- json (zipped 7.2 MB, unzipped 76.7 MB)
- Asian (20,545 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 6.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 21.9 MB)
- json (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 12.6 MB)
- Egyptian (42,244 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 10.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.9 MB, unzipped 40.4 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 22.5 MB)
- European (8,038 objects)
- csv (zipped 262.9 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 350.5 KB, unzipped 7.6 MB)
- json (zipped 306 KB, unzipped 4.1 MB)
- Historic (2,471 objects)
- csv (zipped 139.2 KB, unzipped 682.4 KB)
- xml zipped 175.6 KB, unzipped 2.2 MB)
- json zipped 158.4 KB, unzipped 1.3 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,263 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 8.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.2 MB, unzipped 29.7 MB)
- json (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 16.9 MB)
- Near Eastern (71,622 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.2 MB, unzipped 18.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 4.1 MB, unzipped 64.6 MB)
- json (zipped 3.6 MB, unzipped 36.6 MB)
- Oceanian (21,340 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 19.8 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 11.4 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.