Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 348,326 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com. These files were last updated on April 19, 2015.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (348,326 objects)
- csv (zipped 16.1 MB, unzipped 95 MB)
- xml (zipped 21.1 MB, unzipped 342.3 MB)
- json (zipped 18.8 MB, unzipped 190.6 MB)
- African (18,750 objects)
- csv (zipped 1,002.5 KB, unzipped 5 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 16.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 9.4 MB)
- American (136,984 objects)
- csv (zipped 6.1 MB, unzipped 36.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 8.1 MB, unzipped 140.1 MB)
- json (zipped 7.2 MB, unzipped 76.1 MB)
- Asian (20,529 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 6.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 21.9 MB)
- json (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 12.6 MB)
- Egyptian (41,334 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 10.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 39.5 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 21.9 MB)
- European (8,038 objects)
- csv (zipped 262.1 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 349.9 KB, unzipped 7.6 MB)
- json (zipped 305.2 KB, unzipped 4.1 MB)
- Historic (2,437 objects)
- csv (zipped 134.6 KB, unzipped 669.4 KB)
- xml zipped 169.5 KB, unzipped 2.2 MB)
- json zipped 152.9 KB, unzipped 1.3 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,263 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 8.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.3 MB, unzipped 29.6 MB)
- json (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 16.8 MB)
- Near Eastern (71,310 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.1 MB, unzipped 18.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 3.9 MB, unzipped 64.3 MB)
- json (zipped 3.5 MB, unzipped 36.5 MB)
- Oceanian (21,258 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 19.7 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 11.3 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.