Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 339,980 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com. These files were last updated on February 1, 2015.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (339,980 objects)
- csv (zipped 15.8 MB, unzipped 92.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 20.6 MB, unzipped 332.4 MB)
- json (zipped 18.4 MB, unzipped 184.8 MB)
- African (18,734 objects)
- csv (zipped 998 KB, unzipped 5 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 16.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 9.3 MB)
- American (128,540 objects)
- csv (zipped 5.7 MB, unzipped 34.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 7.6 MB, unzipped 130.9 MB)
- json (zipped 6.7 MB, unzipped 70.9 MB)
- Asian (20,532 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 6.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 21.8 MB)
- json (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 12.5 MB)
- Egyptian (41,463 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 10.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 39.5 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 21.9 MB)
- European (8,021 objects)
- csv (zipped 259.4 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 347.4 KB, unzipped 7.6 MB)
- json (zipped 302.5 KB, unzipped 4.1 MB)
- Historic (2,323 objects)
- csv (zipped 126.3 KB, unzipped 629.8 KB)
- xml zipped 159.3 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- json zipped 144.3 KB, unzipped 1.2 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,210 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 8.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.3 MB, unzipped 29.4 MB)
- json (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 16.8 MB)
- Near Eastern (71,457 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.1 MB, unzipped 18.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 4 MB, unzipped 64.3 MB)
- json (zipped 3.6 MB, unzipped 36.4 MB)
- Oceanian (21,277 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 19.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 11 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.