Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 365,390 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com. These files were last updated on January 31, 2016.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (365,390 objects)
- csv (zipped 16.8 MB, unzipped 100.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 21.8 MB, unzipped 362.5 MB)
- json (zipped 19.5 MB, unzipped 202.3 MB)
- African (18,959 objects)
- csv (zipped 1 MB, unzipped 5.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 16.6 MB)
- json (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 9.5 MB)
- American (146,560 objects)
- csv (zipped 6.3 MB, unzipped 39.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 8.4 MB, unzipped 151.3 MB)
- json (zipped 7.4 MB, unzipped 82.3 MB)
- Asian (21,771 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 7 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 23.1 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 13.3 MB)
- Egyptian (46,393 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 12.2 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 44.8 MB)
- json (zipped 1.9 MB, unzipped 25.1 MB)
- European (8,077 objects)
- csv (zipped 264 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 351.9 KB, unzipped 7.6 MB)
- json (zipped 307 KB, unzipped 4.2 MB)
- Historic (2,468 objects)
- csv (zipped 139.6 KB, unzipped 684.9 KB)
- xml zipped 176.6 KB, unzipped 2.2 MB)
- json zipped 159.5 KB, unzipped 1.3 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,262 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 8.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.3 MB, unzipped 30.2 MB)
- json (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 17.3 MB)
- Near Eastern (72,002 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.1 MB, unzipped 19.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 4 MB, unzipped 65.2 MB)
- json (zipped 3.6 MB, unzipped 37.1 MB)
- Oceanian (21,473 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 20.2 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 11.7 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.