Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 340,715 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email firstname.lastname@example.org. These files were last updated on February 22, 2015.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (340,715 objects)
- csv (zipped 15.7 MB, unzipped 92.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 20.5 MB, unzipped 333.5 MB)
- json (zipped 18.3 MB, unzipped 185.5 MB)
- African (18,748 objects)
- csv (zipped 993 KB, unzipped 5 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 16.3 MB)
- json (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 9.4 MB)
- American (129,199 objects)
- csv (zipped 5.7 MB, unzipped 34.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 7.6 MB, unzipped 131.8 MB)
- json (zipped 6.7 MB, unzipped 71.4 MB)
- Asian (20,528 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 6.6 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 21.8 MB)
- json (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 12.5 MB)
- Egyptian (41,475 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 10.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 39.6 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 21.9 MB)
- European (8,037 objects)
- csv (zipped 260.2 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 349.5 KB, unzipped 7.6 MB)
- json (zipped 304.7 KB, unzipped 4.1 MB)
- Historic (2,320 objects)
- csv (zipped 125.7 KB, unzipped 631.3 KB)
- xml zipped 157.7 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- json zipped 143.1 KB, unzipped 1.2 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,241 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 8.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.3 MB, unzipped 29.5 MB)
- json (zipped 2 MB, unzipped 16.8 MB)
- Near Eastern (71,467 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.1 MB, unzipped 18.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 4 MB, unzipped 64.3 MB)
- json (zipped 3.6 MB, unzipped 36.4 MB)
- Oceanian (21,277 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 19.5 MB)
- json (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 11.2 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.