Glass clear bluish green with cobalt additions. Rim folded inward and down; tubular body pinched down the center creating two chambers; probably unflattened base (no visible pontil mark). From below rim up to rim, 4 small handles; from the tops of these spring four more arching handles, 2 of which are made by folding together at the center and attaching to the common wall pf the tubes, the other 2 handle ends are laid on the intersection of the arches. One final handle springs from the arch of one handle below it to the arch of the opposite handle. Blown, with tooled additions. Base chipped off, otherwise intact. Slightly dulled inside; no iridescence.
Purchased from Fr. Vester and Company, American Colony Store, Jerusalem, 1913
|GL14 (Ancient Glass Project) || - || Other Number|
[Book] Fleming, Stuart J. 1999. Roman Glass (II): Reflections on Cultural Change. : Page/Fig./Plate: p. 106, fig. E.49
[Article] Matthews, K. D. 1963. Saffron and Swan's Greece. Expedition: The Magazine of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. 5 (4) : Page/Fig./Plate: p. 16, illustration
You may also be interested in these objects: