University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
Object Number: 51-9-4
Current Location: Collections storage
Buddhist (uncertain)
Provenience: Thailand
Period: 18th Century
Date Made: 1775 - 1799
Early Date: 1775
Late Date: 1799
Materials:Palm Leaf
Iconography:Buddhist Literature
Height: 5.2cm
Width: 55cm
Credit Line:Gift of Mrs. W. H. Kneedler, 1951
Other NumberM38 - Levitt NumberL-1-53 - Other Number


Pedagogical monastic work of Northern Thai commentary on a limited amount of Pali text. A complete text (two puks) but with some broken leaves (f. 16, f. 18, pieces stitched together. In Northern Thai and Pali (Lanna). Two lateral holes with tie cord. Edges colored red. Black powder rubbed into incised letters. Varnish applied to most folios, giving letters brown appearance. Stain from varnish on parts of f.kau results in making some of the letters difficult to read. and ki have in each case a section of the left side of the folio broken off, but the separated sections have been carefully repaired by sewing on a sliver of palm leaf with white thread at the top and bottom of each folio at the break. The left side of f.ka has broken off and been lost. Only one-third of f. kai remians, the right two-thirds having broken off and been lost. The colophon is missing. Two title pages present, one for entire text, one for section. Script neat and not ornamental. Written at the Wat Mansikam temple by Phra Gīnamgalajao or Phra Ginajao. Gift of Mrs. W. H. Kneedler (nurse and wife of Presbyterian medical missionary W. H. Kneedler). Written in 5 lines per leaf. Written on leaves of palm leaf with two central holes approximately 18 cm apart and red lacquered edges. Written in Thailand in the late 18th century.


[Catalogue] Levitt, Stephan H. 1980. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Indic and Greater Indic Manuscripts in the Collection of the University Museum of the University of Pennsylvania. : Page/Fig./Plate: 143View Objects cited in this Publication

You may also be interested in these objects:

See a problem? Let us know

© Penn Museum 2016 Sitemap / Contact / Copyright / Disclaimer / Privacy /