Egypt (Sphinx) Gallery
1292 - 1190 BC
This column once stood in the vestibule of the temple of the ram god Herishef at the site of Heracleopolis. The capital of the column is decorated like palm fronds (in contrast to the capitals of the other columns in the gallery which have a lotus shape). The deeply-incised inscriptions contain the name of Ramses II. In the central panels, Ramses is depicted making offerings to Horus. Additional inscriptions on the column were added during the reign of Ramses II’s son, Merenptah, whose name also appears in the more shallowly carved hieroglyphs. This column originally belonged to a much earlier temple and was re-inscribed by these later kings of Dynasty 19.
Museum Purchase, Subscription of Mrs. John Harrison
[Book] Ancient Egypt. : Page/Fig./Plate: 74
[Book] Naville. Ahnas el Medineh. : Page/Fig./Plate: 10
[Book] Porter, Bertha & Moss, Rosalind L. 1964. The Theban Necropolis Vol II. Vol II. Part 2. : Page/Fig./Plate: 856
You may also be interested in these objects: