The Conservation Laboratory at the Penn Museum was the first of its kind in the United States to be staffed entirely by professional conservators. The conservators act as caretakers and preservers of the Museum’s extraordinary Collection of more than one million objects and also play a major part in furthering the Museum’s educational mission, through lectures to students, volunteers, staff and the general public, and through an active Internship and Fellowship Program which, since 1971, has hosted nearly 50 fellows and interns, many of whom can be found now working in leading museums worldwide.
To ensure the best stewardship of the Collection entrusted to it, through Destination 2012, the Museum seeks to:
- Add two full-time conservators to the current staff of two;
- Fund up to eight annual pre-doctoral interns;
- Upgrade and expand current conservation facilities through the West Wing Renovation Project.
Deeply appreciated term funding from the 1956 Otto Haas Charitable Trust will fund a staff conservator and two interns over the next three years. The Museum welcomes additional term or endowment funding for staff and intern positions, as well as capital support for the conservation facilities upgrade.
Through Destination 2012, friends and family members can support the Museum’s conservation staff and internship Program, and may choose to:
- Provide annual funding over a single or multi-year period to support a pre-doctoral, academic year conservation internship or staff position (funding opportunities begin at $15,000 per year.)
- Make an outright or planned gift to endow a pre-doctoral, academic year conservation internship or staff position, which may be named in perpetuity for the donor or anyone he or she designates (funding opportunities begin at $375,000.)
For more information on funding opportunities to the Conservation and Staff Internship Program, please contact Amanda Mitchell-Boyask or Therese Marmion.
Amanda Mitchell-Boyask, Director of Development
Therese Marmion, Major Gifts Officer