Founded in 1887, the Penn Museum has always been one of the world’s great archaeology and anthropology research museums, and the largest university museum in the United States. With roughly one million objects in our care, the Penn Museum encapsulates and illustrates the human story: who we are and where we came from. As a dynamic research institution with many ongoing research projects, the Museum is a vibrant and engaging place of continual discovery, with the mandate of research, teaching, collections stewardship, and public engagement—the four “pillars” of what we do.
The Visitor Services Supervisor will work part-time at the Museum’s admissions desks, ensuring that Museum guests have a comfortable and enjoyable experience during their visit through high levels of customer service and a welcoming and helpful atmosphere. The Visitor Services Supervisor will process admission and membership sales, will act as a ‘concierge’ answering questions, and will not only provide additional assistance to visitors as needed, but will also recognize and anticipate their needs, wants and expectations. This person will also assist the Director of Visitor Services and Visitor Services Manager with the supervision of the Museum admissions staff, assist with their training, evaluations and management of their performance, and assist with the preparation and creation of staff and attendance reports. The Visitor Services Supervisor will also act in a backup supervisory role in the supervisor’s absence.
Qualifications: Candidates must possess a high school diploma. Prior customer service skills in a cultural environment are desired but not required. Very strong interpersonal skills and oral communication skills are essential. The ability to provide exceptional customer service is critical.
Posted March 3, 2017
Visitor Services Representative
The Visitor Services Representative will work part-time at the Museum’s admissions desks, processing admissions to the Museum, and will be responsible for ensuring that Museum guests have a comfortable and enjoyable experience during their visit. The Visitor Services Representative will see that all Museum guests experience high levels of customer service and encounter a welcoming and helpful atmosphere. The Visitor Services Representative will act as a “concierge”, answering questions, using the ticketing system to process admission and membership sales, and will provide assistance to visitors as needed, and will recognize and anticipate their needs, wants, and expectations.
Posted March 31, 2017
Summer Camp Counselor
The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (Penn Museum) is currently seeking counselors for its summer camp, Anthropologists in the Making. The eight-week day camp (June 26-August 18, 2017) for children ages 7 to 13 will focus on a different topic each week, such as “Native American Voices” and “Mummies Unwrapped.” Positions are seasonal and contractual. Counselors report to the Summer Camp Director.
- Lead and assist small and large groups of campers in a multitude of activities such as gallery tours, art projects, games, scavenger hunts, and performances
- Foster a fun and positive learning environment by facilitating friendships and teamwork among campers and acting as a mentor
- Enthusiasm and experience working with children, preferably in an educational setting
- Excellent communication, leadership, and teamwork skills
- Competence in teaching, counseling, and administrative work
- Patience, creativity, enthusiasm, initiative, and flexibility a must
- Completed college degree with background in education, anthropology, archaeology, history or art preferred
- Completed clearances preferred: PA child abuse history, PA criminal record, and FBI criminal history
- Must be available to work June 19-Aug. 18, Monday–Friday, 40 hours per week (June 19-23 is an orientation week with reduced hours)
- Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information of three references. Of the three references, one work reference must be cited. This must be submitted all in one document.
- Interviews will be conducted May 3-6
- Hiring decisions will be made by May 15
- Position pays $13/hour
Posted March 24, 2017