Monsters, Myths, and Legends
Spirits and Storytelling
Saturday, October 17, 2020 |
7:00PM - 9:00PM
This is a virtual event.
LocationVirtual Event - Penn Museum
Where in the world do monsters hide, with demons and guardians lurking inside?
With amulet in hand, come hunt creatures––small and grand.
Curious about the origins of legendary creatures like vampires and werewolves? How would you protect yourself against snake-haired or intestine-faced demons? On this virtual storytelling adventure, staying close to the Narrator is strongly advised. Unlock the origins of what makes a monster, and discover the tools you’ll need to face off with some special guests that go bump in the night.
Get into the Halloween spirit and purchase the “Mystery 6” beer pack, a selection of the best local seasonal beers selected by our partner Philly Loves Beer. This will not be a beer tasting, so feel free to enjoy these brews at your own pace as you descend into the strange and mysterious world of monsters, myths, and legends. Available for purchase at local participating bottle shops listed below. Not able to access one of the participating bottle shops? Don't worry! Simply grab your favorite holiday beverage and drink along.
Participating Bottle Shops
- Bottle Shop on Passyunk
- Bottle Shop at Local 44
- Bottle Bar East
- Pinocchio's Beer Garden To Go
$10 AdultBuy Tickets
Special Guests and Storytellers
Throughout the tour, you will meet quite a few quirky special guests. Below we have included a quick sneak peek...
- Eric Jaffe
- Eric Jaffe is a world ukulele champion, an above average singer, and a genderless glamour monster. Eric is the winner of the 2018 Philly Drag Awards, Best Host, Best Alternative Drag Queen, and Drag Queen of the Year. You can find Eric scouring the Philadelphia cabaret and drag scene screaming at the top of their lungs about food. They starred in the original queer musical Basic Witches at The Arden, and starred and directed Jaffe St. Queer’s productions: Thweeney Todd: The Flaming barber of Fleek Street, at Franky Bradley’s, the Barrymore-recommended Gay Mis, and the Barrymore-recommended Lizard of Oz at The Painted Bride Art Center! For more on Eric Jaffe, check your local Wawa, by the milkshake machine, but also check out theericjaffe.com.
- Alyssa Al-Dookhi
- Alyssa Al-Dookhi (they/she) is a Kuwaiti-American comedian, writer, and game show host in Philadelphia. They were a contestant in the Netflix karaoke competition show Sing On! and a warm-up comic for season 5 of Netflix's Queer Eye. You also might have caught her at “Philly Loves Beer: Over The Hop” arm-wrestling event!
- Carlos José Pérez Sámano
- Born in Mexico City, Carlos is a Global Guide at the Penn Museum and the Executive Director of the Philadelphia Mexican Global Network, a network of talented Mexicans in diaspora with more than 6,000 members worldwide. An expert storyteller with an M.F.A. in Creative Writing and an M.A. in Publishing, Carlos is the author of four books and a contributor to numerous literary magazines and anthologies.
- Casey Parker
- Philly Loves Beer Board President
Owner: Jose Pistola's, Sancho Pistola's, Pistolas Del Sur and Troubles End Brewing
Believe it or not, Casey Parker takes to the stage quite often, whether he's the MC for your charity night, hosting a Philly Loves Beer event, or the frontman of an 80's cover band, Casey has a huge background in performing art and beer!
- Dr. Elizabeth Ellis
- Elizabeth is an assistant professor of history at NYU. Liz’s current book project investigates the histories of Louisiana’s small, Native American polities during the 18th century. Her recent publications include an article on the Tunicas in the Journal of Louisiana History and a book chapter in Routledge’s The World of Colonial America.