Love Potion #9
- Wednesday 15 February 2017
- 6:00PM - 9:00PM
- Penn Museum
Keep the Valentine’s Day spirit going with this evening event! Love Potion #9 is your chance to explore your own romantic beliefs and superstitions, and those of your friends. This special event lets guests enjoy the international galleries of the Penn Museum in an intimate new way: after regular visiting hours, with drinks and light bites available at a cash bar.
Love Potion #9 invites you to:
- Enjoy a fascinating talk about so-called “love potions” in ancient Egypt, presented Dr. Jennifer Houser Wegner, Associate Curator of the Penn Museum’s Egyptian Section—exploring how these ancient aphrodisiacs were made, who used them, and what they were perceived to do.
- Find ancient magical solutions to your romantic problems in the special exhibition Magic in the Ancient World. More than 80 objects from Greece, Rome, Egypt, and Mesopotamia help tell the story of how ancient peoples sought to fulfill desires through supernatural means—such as a gem to help charm a crush, or a tablet to curse a scorned love interest.
- Laugh it up during a comedic performance by reenactor Ray Saraceni, who depicts 19th-century phrenologist Dr. Orson Squire Fowler. He explores guests’ personalities, emotions, and desires by “reading their head,” using a 19th-century pseudomedicine known as “phrenology.”
- Make your own magical charm or amulet to attract your love, at a craft table for creative attendees.
- Learn what the future might for your love life with a reading from a Tarot card reader.
- Stop by the bar for a snack or a drink—like our special “Love Potion #9” cocktail.
The event is presented as part of the P.M. @ Penn Museum School Nights series. Guests must be 18 or older to attend.
$20 per person; $15 Penn Museum members
(includes one free drink for guests ages 21+)
Plan your Visit to the Penn Museum
Information about Parking, Public Transit, Hours of Operation and more...
Philadelphia, PA 19104