Sold Out: Science On Tap, Untapped Ruins Everything
- Monday 13 August 2018
- 6:00PM - 8:00PM
- Rainey Auditorium - Penn Museum
Does the parallel universe theory really explain the Upside Down on Stranger Things? Is Tyrannosaurus vision really based on movement like in Jurassic Park? Is Bones right? Can a forensic anthropologist really tell if a bone is real just by licking it? Representations of science in pop culture are often way more fiction than fact. With so many white lab coats, daring anthropologists, and crime-solving teams, it can be hard to sort out what’s real and what’s just for entertainment. But don’t worry! Your friendly Science on Tap organizations are here to help.
Join us for a lively and hilarious night as we pay homage to our favorite portrayals of science onscreen. We’ll share clips from our favorite TV shows and movies and explain the real science behind scenes that range from the brazenly bad to the surprisingly accurate. Cosplay encouraged! Show up as your favorite TV or film character doing science and get a chance to win awesome prizes. Please note: the Penn Museum galleries will be closed during this event.
This event is Sold Out!
- Nicole Altman, Museum Specialist, Independence National Historical Park
- Katy Blanchard, Keeper of the Near Eastern Collections at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
- Anna N. Dhody, Curator, Mütter Museum, and Director, Mütter Research Institute
- Elisabeth Berry Drago, Public History Fellow, Science History Institute
- Aaron Lawson, Museum Educator, Wagner Free Institute of Science
- Timshel Purdum, Assistant Vice President, Public Experience at the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
About Science on Tap, Untapped
Science on Tap, Untapped events combine everything you love about the popular Philly science café with new locations, activities, and dates. As always, the goal is to promote enthusiasm for science in a fun, spirited, and accessible way while also meeting new people.
Plan your Visit to the Penn Museum
Information about Parking, Public Transit, Hours of Operation and more...
Philadelphia, PA 19104