|Current Location:||Egypt (Sphinx) Gallery|
Currently On Display
|Credit Line:||The Eckley B. Coxe Jr. Expedition to Mit-Rahineh (Memphis), Egypt; Clarence Stanley Fisher, 1924|
|Other Number||M4340 - Field No SF|
The palace of Merenptah featured relatively small windows set high into the walls. This position limited the mount of bright light and dust which would enter the building. Many elite houses also shared this feature. Not only functional, this window is full of religious symbolism. At the top, protective sphinxes face each other. Below the sphinxes, a row of hawk heads of the sun god Re appear, perhaps highlighting the window’s purpose to let in life-giving sunlight. The bottom half portrays a wooden and reed window inscribed forever in stone. Two rolled-up reed blinds are carved with a lotus flower in the center.
|[Book] Porter, Bertha & Moss, Rosalind L. 1964. The Theban Necropolis Vol II. Vol II. Part 2. : Page/Fig./Plate: 856||View Objects cited in this Publication|
You may also be interested in these objects:
See a problem? Let us know firstname.lastname@example.org