Sites - Ayios Ermoyenis
The cemetery of Ayios Ermoyenis, named for the nearby Byzantine chapel, lies between the Kourion bluff and Kaloriziki. McFadden and his team excavated here in 1940-41. They sank ninety-five pits, and while they found evidence of earlier excavations and illicit digging in this large cemetery, they also uncovered nine unplundered tombs with burials of Hellenistic and Roman date.
The tombs are large built tombs, cut out of the bedrock, each with a chamber or group of chambers and a dromos, lined with masonry. They must have belonged to the wealthy inhabitants of the city of Kourion and are similar to tombs found elsewhere on the island. The tombs often had more than one burial. The large Tomb 8, which McFadden published in 1946, had five burials. The earliest burials were Hellenistic, dated to the 3rd century BC, and the latest were of the 1st century AD Roman period.
The Penn Museum's Ayios Ermoyenis material consists of some 200 objects, the contents of Tombs 1 and 5. Pottery makes up the majority of the material, but there are also glass vessels and beads, silver and gold jewelry, and other small finds such as bronze nails and pins, terracotta lamps, and iron nails and tools. A bronze coin of the Roman emperor Probus (who reigned from AD 276-282) was found in Tomb 1; it is considerably later than the last burial, however, and must have fallen in with the strata over the tomb's roof when it collapsed.View Objects from Ayios Ermoyenis