Sites - Sotira Teppes
The site of Sotira Teppes lies six kilometers northwest of Kourion and was excavated by the Cypriot archaeologist Porphyrios Dikaios under the auspices of the Penn expedition. Dikaios began excavating there in 1947, and he returned to the site for four more seasons in the early 1950s.
The excavations at Sotira Teppes yielded evidence of a Neolithic hilltop settlement, which became the type-site for Neolithic II, the second phase of the so-called Ceramic Neolithic in Cyprus, which dates to the beginning of the 5th millennium BC. Dikaios placed Sotira chronologically between two other Neolithic sites he excavated: Khirokitia (Late Aceramic Neolithic) and Erimi, to the east of Kourion, which has both later Neolithic and Chalcolithic remains. Dikaios recognized four phases at Sotira, and he excavated a number of houses on the hilltop, which dated to the final phase, before the site was abandoned at the beginning of the 4th millennium BC. He found evidence of a fully developed ceramic technology, with relatively complex and sophisticated pottery, rather than the crude beginnings of a developing tradition. The finds from the Sotira dwellings presented a view of daily life in a hitherto unknown period of Cypriot prehistory.
The Penn Museum collection of finds from Sotira Teppes consists of nearly 275 objects, including pottery, tools of stone and antler, bone implements, and other small finds. These finds constitute the earliest material from the Kourion area in the Museum.View Objects from Sotira Teppes