The Mongolian National Museum
was first established in 1924 with the aim of introducing the history, culture,
and natural environment of Mongolia to its visitors. From 1940 to 1941,
the museum was known as the Museum of Local Research and then from 1956
to 1991 as the State central Museum. The State Central Museum moved into
its own building in 1956, with galleries for history, natural environment,
paleontology, and Mongolian art. In 1964, the History Gallery was enriched
by new exhibits of ethnography.
The National Museum of Mongolian
In May 1991, the State Committee of Culture
and Art decided to improve the museums throughout the country and it established
the National Museum of Mongolian History by merging the historical collections
from the State Central Museum with the Museum of the Revolution, which had
been founded in 1971. The National Museum of Mongolian History is now located
in the facility built for the Museum of the Revolution. The Memorial Museum
of the Victims of Political Repression (also in Ulaanbaatar) is a branch
museum of the National Museum of Mongolian History.
The National Museum of Mongolian History
is a cultural, scientific, and educational organization that presents Mongolian
history and culture from the dawn of humanity to the present day. The museum
has been implementing different projects related to museum research work
in cooperation with foreign and domestic museums as well as scientific organizations.
In the last ten years, it has organized exhibitions in Germany, Japan, the
U.S.A., Korea, Italy, Norway, China, and the Netherlands.