Download the data
You can download the object data available in the online collection as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 367,607 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com. These files were last updated on January 22, 2017.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
- All (367,607 objects)
- csv (zipped 17 MB, unzipped 104.3 MB)
- xml (zipped 22.2 MB, unzipped 369.3 MB)
- json (zipped 19.8 MB, unzipped 207.3 MB)
- African (19,257 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.1 MB, unzipped 5.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 17.1 MB)
- json (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 9.9 MB)
- American (145,779 objects)
- csv (zipped 6 MB, unzipped 40.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 8 MB, unzipped 152.5 MB)
- json (zipped 7 MB, unzipped 83.4 MB)
- Asian (22,259 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 7.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 23.8 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 13.8 MB)
- Egyptian (47,882 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 12.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.4 MB, unzipped 46.7 MB)
- json (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 26.4 MB)
- European (8,147 objects)
- csv (zipped 272.7 KB, unzipped 2.1 MB)
- xml (zipped 363.9 KB, unzipped 7.8 MB)
- json (zipped 316.7 KB, unzipped 4.3 MB)
- Historic (2,424 objects)
- csv (zipped 137.6 KB, unzipped 698.9 KB)
- xml zipped 173.4 KB, unzipped 2.2 MB)
- json zipped 156.4 KB, unzipped 1.3 MB)
- Mediterranean (26,300 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.9 MB, unzipped 9 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.4 MB, unzipped 30.6 MB)
- json (zipped 2.2 MB, unzipped 17.6 MB)
- Near Eastern (72,354 objects)
- csv (zipped 3.3 MB, unzipped 19.8 MB)
- xml (zipped 4.2 MB, unzipped 66.3 MB)
- json (zipped 3.8 MB, unzipped 37.9 MB)
- Oceanian (21,658 objects)
- csv (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 6.2 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 21.1 MB)
- json (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 12.2 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the About page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These data sets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.