Out on loan
Stone relief of Brahma. Inscription in old karanese characters of the 11-12th century CE. Collected from a Shiva temple called Trailokyamallesvara-the present Mallikarjuna at Kuruvatti, a village in the Harpanahalli Taluka of the Bellary district, Madras Presidency. It's possible the statue was originally from the Basavesvara temple in Kalakeri. The inscription reads:
"Chavundoja the architect of the temple of Trailokyamallesvara of the glorious (town) Kuruvati, the son of Gulugoja, the purifier of (his) race (gotra), the worshipper of the feet of the illustrious (teacher) Vadideva, a servant of the (religious congregation)Sarasvati-gana, the son of women other(than his wife) and the pupil of Balla(ha) made (this) image of Brahma." (The Sarasvati-gana was a Jain sect)
Purchased from H. Kevorkian, 1923
|6-1961-4 || - || Philadelphia Museum of Art Number|
|342-2002-1 || - || Other Number|
Current & Past Exhibitions:
Southeast Asian Gallery (1987 - 1992)
[Article] Rice, John H. 2006. "Finding the Original Home of the Museum's Brahma". Expedition: The Magazine of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. 48 (2): 45-48.
: Page/Fig./Plate: 45
[Book] Horne, Lee C. 1985. Introduction to the Collections of The University Museum.
: Page/Fig./Plate: 55
You may also be interested in these objects: