Ancient Egypt: Discovery to Display|
Currently On Display
|Credit Line:||Distribution from the Egyptian Research Account; William Flinders Petrie, 1895|
|Other Number:||ES 1390 - Original Number|
This statue depicts the priest Horwedjau. The inscription, which covers the front of the statue, calls upon the priests of the Temple at Coptos to make invocation offerings at various festivals for the benefit of his ka (or life force). The god Min was the primary deity of Coptos, and his name appears in the first line of the inscription. The inscription also includes a funerary offering prayer invoking Isis of Coptos. The head of the statue is missing, and the feet and front of the base are restored. This shape of statue is known as a block statue, a form which first appeared in the Middle Kingdom (c. 1980-1630 BCE) but remained popular centuries later.
Current & Past Exhibitions:
|Ancient Egypt: Discovery to Display (23 Feb 2019)||View Objects in Exhibition|
You may also be interested in these objects:
Report problems and issues to firstname.lastname@example.org.