You can download the object data available in the online collections database as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each Curatorial Sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 378,409 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
These files were last updated on December 10, 2017
- csv (zipped 17.3 MB, unzipped 107.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 22.4 MB, unzipped 381.5 MB)
- json (zipped 20 MB, unzipped 214.3 MB)
- csv (zipped 1 MB, unzipped 5.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 17.1 MB)
- json (zipped 2.3 MB, unzipped 9.9 MB)
- csv (zipped 6.3 MB, unzipped 42.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 16.7 MB, unzipped 159.2 MB)
- json (zipped 7.4 MB, unzipped 87.1 MB)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 7.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 24.1 MB)
- json (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 13.9 MB)
- csv (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 12.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 46.7 MB)
- json (zipped 1.9 MB, unzipped 26.4 MB)
- csv (zipped 348.9 KB, unzipped 2.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 460.6 KB, unzipped 8.9 MB)
- json (zipped 404.3 KB, unzipped 4.9 MB)
- csv (zipped 141.7 KB, unzipped 741.6 KB)
- xml zipped 355.4 KB, unzipped 2.4 MB)
- json zipped 322.4 KB, unzipped 1.4 MB)
- csv (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 9.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 4.8 MB, unzipped 32.4 MB)
- json (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 18.6 MB)
- csv (zipped 3.3 MB, unzipped 20.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 4.3 MB, unzipped 67.9 MB)
- json (zipped 7.7 MB, unzipped 38.9 MB)
- csv (zipped 2.4 MB, unzipped 6.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 21.6 MB)
- json (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 12.6 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the Penn Museum collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from, and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online collections database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material, and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the Help page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published, and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These datasets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.