You can download the object data available in the online collections database as either a CSV, XML or JSON file. Each Curatorial Sections' data is available below as well as a single file containing all 374,372 object records. This data is provided 'as-is'. Not all records included herein have been reviewed for completeness or accuracy. That process is ongoing and the Museum would welcome your assistance in drawing our attention to any particularly egregious omissions or inaccuracies. If you have questions about this data please email email@example.com.
This data is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
These files were last updated on October 15, 2017
- csv (zipped 17.2 MB, unzipped 106.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 22.4 MB, unzipped 377.5 MB)
- json (zipped 20 MB, unzipped 212.1 MB)
- csv (zipped 1 MB, unzipped 5.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.3 MB, unzipped 17.1 MB)
- json (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 9.9 MB)
- csv (zipped 6.3 MB, unzipped 41.7 MB)
- xml (zipped 8.3 MB, unzipped 156.7 MB)
- json (zipped 7.3 MB, unzipped 85.8 MB)
- csv (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 7.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 24 MB)
- json (zipped 1.7 MB, unzipped 13.9 MB)
- csv (zipped 1.6 MB, unzipped 12.9 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 46.7 MB)
- json (zipped 1.9 MB, unzipped 26.4 MB)
- csv (zipped 338.5 KB, unzipped 2.5 MB)
- xml (zipped 450.6 KB, unzipped 8.8 MB)
- json (zipped 394.7 KB, unzipped 4.8 MB)
- csv (zipped 142.2 KB, unzipped 740.9 KB)
- xml zipped 177.1 KB, unzipped 2.4 MB)
- json zipped 161.3 KB, unzipped 1.4 MB)
- csv (zipped 1.8 MB, unzipped 9.2 MB)
- xml (zipped 2.4 MB, unzipped 31.4 MB)
- json (zipped 2.1 MB, unzipped 18.1 MB)
- csv (zipped 3.4 MB, unzipped 20.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 4.3 MB, unzipped 67.9 MB)
- json (zipped 3.8 MB, unzipped 38.8 MB)
- csv (zipped 1.2 MB, unzipped 6.4 MB)
- xml (zipped 1.5 MB, unzipped 21.4 MB)
- json (zipped 1.4 MB, unzipped 12.4 MB)
What is available?
These files contain metadata about the objects in the Penn Museum collection. This usually includes information about what the object is, a brief physical description, dates, where it is from, and what it is made of. Some records will have more information than others. As a work in progress, the Museum continuously strives to improve both the quantity and quality of the data contained within the online collections database.
Some fields contain multiple values (e.g. Place Name, Material, and Other Number). In the CSV file, multiple values in these fields are seperated by a single pipe-bar character '|'. For complete documentation about the fields in these files please see the Help page.
What isn't available
Unfortunately, images, information about where the object has been published, and its exhibtion history are not included in this dataset. These datasets may be added in the future.
What can I do with the data?
Anything! Please use this data for your own projects, amusement, or research. We would love to be surprised by what you create with this data. If you build something let us know.