University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
Object Number: MS3367
Current Location: Collections storage
Culture:Roman
Provenience: Italy
Period: 19th Century
Section:Mediterranean
Materials:Gold
Iconography:Bird
Credit Line:Museum Purchase; subscription of John Wanamaker, 1896

Description

Bird. Hollow casr duck entirely covered by fine granulation. Legs of thick plain wires to suggest webbed feet. The join between leg and body is accented by a plain wire circle. The wings, in outline against body, are in the shape of leaves and are bordered by thick rope wire and then thin plain wire. The shoulder of the wing contains seven cells bordered by twisted wire which are empty of granulation, in 2-3-2 order. Running toward the point of the wing are three plait wires. The back half of the wing is filled by granulation. The beak is truncated. Eyes outlined by a circle of plain wire. On the back is a loop of plain wire which connects to a plain wire link supporting a plain wire attachment hook. Originally covered by a black encrustation now removed.


Bibliography:

[Chapter] Turfa, Jean M. "Etruscan" Gold from Cerveteri (and Elsewhere) in the University of Pennsylvania Museum, in Bell, Sinclair & Nagy, Helen. New Perspectives on Etruria and Early Rome: In Honor of Richard De Puma. 91-118. : Page/Fig./Plate: p. 94, fig. 6.1; p. 96; p. 98View Objects cited in this Publication
[Article] Follett, T. 1985. Curating Behavior In Old World Archaeology. MASCA Journal. 3: 150-153. : Page/Fig./Plate: pp. 150View Objects cited in this Publication
[Book] Marshall, Frederick H. 1911. Catalogue of the Jewellery, Greek, Etruscan, and Roman, in the Department of Antiquities, British Museum. : Page/Fig./Plate: no. 2446View Objects cited in this Publication
[Catalogue, Collection] Luce, Stephen B. 1921. Catalogue of the Mediterranean Section. : Page/Fig./Plate: p.208, no.6View Objects cited in this Publication

You may also be interested in these objects:


See a problem? Let us know online.collections@pennmuseum.org

© Penn Museum 2016 Sitemap / Contact / Copyright / Disclaimer / Privacy / Upenn